Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cape dawn...

We left Cape Town early this morning for Mossel Bay, where I'll be taking the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe steam train to George at 14h00.

But before that we're stopping again at the controversial Pinnacle Point caves just outside Mossel Bay. I want to talk to archaeologist Kyle Brown about this most important site of its kind in the world.

They're excavating a midden and finding evidence of the earliest modern human behaviour in the form of bladelet technology (e.g. a stone blade embedded in wood or bone), dating as far back as 165 000 years.

It's also evidence of the earliest inclusion of seafood into the human diet and of man's use of ochres and dyes, possibly for decoration. This is exciting stuff.

These pics I've just taken when stopping on the side of the N2. We're about 90km from Swellendam and it's freezing cold and windy outside, which is some of my favourite weather.

Tonight I'm sleeping in Knysna... can't wait!

(Pics taken with, and blog posted on my Nokia E90 Communicator.)

No comments: