Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Come to the edge...

Machadodorp and Waterval-Boven - in the heart of Mpumalanga's Highlands region - are ideally situated to visit many of the province's attractions from. These include the Skurweberg, the Kwena Dam, Kaapsehoop, Chrissiesmeer, Barberton, Badplaas Hydro Spa, God's Window, Blyderiver Canyon, Sabie, Graskop and the old mining town of Pilgrim's Rest.These are all more or less an hour's drive away.

 

The southern Kruger National Park and all the surrounding private lodges are only an hour and a half away. And it's only 100km to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (outside Nelspruit) and 275km to Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg.

 

I love living in the heart of an unusual historical area. One that's walking distance from some world-renowned climbing opportunities. I came here for the fresh air, stupendous night skies and flora and fauna. As a bonus I found myself close to countless natural locations including mountains, forests, waterfalls and incredible views from the escarpment edge.  

 

The escarpment's edge is wonderfully humbling. It puts my existence into perspective - it's at the edge that I know my place. And that the net will always appear....  

 

[Gustav Janse van Rensburg of Roc 'n Rope Adventures (for guided adventures, MDT training, lodging and gear for climbers: www.rocrope.com) took the pic of me sitting - quite terrified - on the ledge at the edge on the 12th of Feb this year, which explains why the vegetation is so lush and green]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember these stunning pics.. still have them somewhere on my PC. :) Oh, and did I mention that I love your writing and photography! Keep it up, Charles.. Maybe I should start a blog, too!? :)

Anonymous said...

I can see your knees shaking and fingers gripping that ledge for dear life. You're much braver than me!