Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Kaapsehoop...

I'm back at home after over two and a half intense weeks of travelling, of learning, and of observing along some of our country's finest coastlines... most of the time I've been in awe. In awe of the beauty, of the fragility, of its uniquenes. But that awe was tinged with a sense of devastation.. I'm devasttaed at much of our coastline is taken for granted.

But tonight I'm overjoyed to be sitting eating pizza in front of the roaring fire at Salvador's in the hamlet of Kaapsehoop. It's just short of 50 km from Waterval-Boven, in the mountains just before Nelspruit.

I'm here with my mother (who's visiting from the UK) and her best friend Carol. Before getting to Kaapsehoop we drove into the Berlin forest to stare over the edge of the escarpment, to breathe in the chilly winter air as the sun set into the western mountains.

No comments: