Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Seeking to love maturely

You can see it's an old book.

I don't smoke. Although I like the taste of cigarettes in someone else's mouth:

"Love - a short word that means so many different things. Everybody wants it; far from everybody can give it. Yet we all think we know what it means. Is it something natural we don't need to think about, or is it an art? Erich Fromm...discusses its different forms, from the most natural in mother-love to the most impersonal in love of God; from romantic love, with it's endless possibilities of self-deception, to the steady assurance that mature love alone can give. To practice the art of loving is more difficult than ever under today's pressures; but Dr Fromm is convinced that 'Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence." [From the very foreword, indeed...]

I have within myself committed to perceive my new relationship as an opportunity to explore the art of loving; I have much to learn, and trust me, it ain't gonna be a walk in the park. I'm also very, very bored with playing the same relationship CDs over and over.

Someone that I can't remember, but whom I'm sure is famous (not that I care), said, once, that the unexamined life is not worth living. I constantly, and anally (some learned ones might say), but also at great self pain, constantly examine mine. I'm committed to living my best life, in THIS lifetime.

Namaste: I bow to thee, and honour the very highest in YOU

No comments: