Saturday, September 05, 2009

The Eastern Cape.. a stake driven through my heart

It's an hour and a half drive from Hogsback to Grahamstown - via Alice and Fort Beaufort - and the geography and scenery changes drastically. This has always been frontier country from even before the indigenous tribes and Brtish clashed in the early 1800s. It was also a frontier in the war insurgency war against the apartheid state...this region was a hotbed of activisim and uprisings, it's also here that Chris Hani was assasinated in the early 1990s, just before South Africa achieved democracy. Even today it remains frontier territory...

This is country that triggers me, that twists and churns my insides, that draws me in. And because my life somehow doesn't, right now, bring to me where I should in all honesty be - here - I experience great resisitance and disatisfaction. But also anticipation...
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.

No comments: