Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A bloody marvelous time out in Gauteng

Photos: From the front, the Maropeng Tumulus Building resembles an ancient burial mound, from the back it's futuristic. (Credit: the Gallery at www.maropeng.co.za)
 
A sun burnt, bright red forehead, photos and great memories are the only reminders I have of a magnificent morning spent 'recceing' Maropeng and the Sterkfontein Caves in the heart of the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site (COH WHS), north west of Jozi in Gauteng.
 
While this morning was merely an unexpected taster, I've promised myself to get back there within the next two weeks - this time to properly immerse myself in these two gems. 
 
When I arrived at Maropeng - the world-class visitor centre for COH WHS - I was able to enjoy the unexpected hospitality and kindness of its GM, Tony Rubin, and marketing manager Erica Saunders. They invited me to lunch at Maropeng's Tumulus Restaurant, which I can testify serves a mean cappuccino and a delicious buffet. I'm looking forward to spending more time with these passionate, interesting and hospitable folk.
 
In these challenging economic times I would strongly recommend these destinations, and the Cradle of Humankind, as fantastic cost-effective opportunities to get away to in Gauteng. I experienced both of destinations as world-class.
 

No comments: