Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tshwane blues...

Tribeca, Brooklyn Square: After Dinokeng I met my good, but rarely seen friend Sudeshan Reddy for a great cafe mocha in Eastwood Street, not far from the Union Buildings in Pretoria. Sudeshan is the information officer at the United Nations office here.

I've got a soft spot for this city and it's Jacaranda lined avenues, it's warmer climate than Jozi and bushveld vegetation. Despite the suit- and-tied diplomats, this is a predominantly student city. People seem much more chilled here in their t-shirts and shorts, they also look different - good different.

After coffee I went back to his stunning home in Pierneuf (spell?) that looks over Pretoria North. Then a quick visit to the UN office in the centre of the city before diving headlong into peak hour traffic. Nope, I didn't need that, hence my 'sho't left' turn to Brooklyn Mall and now relaxing at Tribeca, one of my haunts for over a decade.

It's a great time of the year and the summer holidays are already in the air.

No comments: