Saturday, December 25, 2010

Daphne

My mother's bookshelf is filled with books by and about Daphne du Maurier. My entire life she has also spoken of the author's novel 'Rebecca', one of the most popular books of the last century, and her favourite book of all time. My mother has also often visited Fowey on the Cornish coast, where Daphne du Maurier lived, at Ferryside, and wrote.
Tonight I'm lying in bed spellbound, reading Margaret Forster's biography of du Maurier. Cornwall has not been closer in four years.
Earlier this evening, with the snow turned to ice in the road outside the house, and half-speaking to herself, my mother said that she hated starting books.
Have a blessed and peace-filled Christmas. I am not an atheist....
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

your post about Daphne reminds me of this poem ....if you like my poems let them by E. E. Cummings...

"if you like my poems let them
walk in the evening,a little behind you

then people will say
"Along this road i saw a princess pass on her way to meet her lover(it was
toward nightfall)with tall and ignorant servants."

Rebecca is such a beautiful book ~~ hauntingly beautiful.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones! :)