Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chair in the corner

Two weeks ago my family convinced me to travel to Johannesburg and to see a doctor; red warning lights were flashing on my dashboard..
He diagnosed me with severe depression, severe anxiety and very high stress levels in seven out of eight areas of my life.
I had no idea that I was depressed, nor - as I now realize - did I have any idea what depression was, nor how long the signs had been showing, nor how debilitating, devastating and awful it is.
I am grateful for my new eyes, because I'd like to reach out to anyone in my life suffering from it. Before I lived it and almost suffocated in it, I could never have had even begun to understand it.
Empathy. Love. And grace.
What a pretty green colour the chair.

4 comments:

Monkey said...

I suffer from it, it almost killed me, taking me away from my friends and family for almost four yrs. But I have learned you can over come it and survive, depression is a cruel lover, but not one we have to embrace forever.

cheers

Imatree627 said...

My husband suffers from anxiety and depression. I'm glad you followed your families advice to go to the doctor. It can be so hard on family members to watch loved ones struggle. I wish you the best on your journey.

Beautiful Mind said...

Heidi thank you for taking the time to comment here, I appreciate it. Thanks, too, for wishing me the best on my journey. All of the very best for you and your husband... Charles

Unknown said...

Blessings ... been there and its hard. So glad you're getting help.