Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snapshots from The Artist's Way: Simply throbbing

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music -- the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.

- Henry Miller

I took these photos in Cape Town on 3 January.
First Derick and I visited Knead in Muizenburg for breakfast, the newspapers, and the morning pages. I loved the art deco coffee shop-bakery-surf shop-in-one experience.
Then we drove to Kalk Bay and easily, despite it being the height of season, found parking directly across from Kalk Bay Books.
There I bought a copy of Peter Godwin's 'Mukiwa'.
Looking at Derick in the photo, I believe we were both immersed in the beautiful day, in being alive, in books, and a rich world "simply throbbing with rich treasures and beautiful souls".
Now, 1700 or so km away, I open 'Mukiwa' and see the inscription, reminding me of the beautiful souls surrounding me, that I inked in there: "Thinking of Zim Alex, with Pretoria Derick, and anticipating Dutch Jesse - at Kalk Bay Books on a perfect day! Tuesday, 3 January 2012"

However, on the other side of my coin, I remember my 'manicness' those few weeks at the end of, and at the beginning of the year.
In retrospect I was completely spent, the mere carcass of an ashen firecracker fallen back down to earth, but desperately seeking meaning.
Alone at home, here beneath the billiard-table verdant mountain (Imemeza in Siswati, for 'place of shouting') and at the very edge of Waterval Boven, I am back at me, and with Him. I live here for a reason. I live here because I have chosen life

No comments: