Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rain in winter!

Where I come from, on the highveld, it's most unusual for it to rain in winter, never mind for it to be overcast; winters days here are characterised by continual blue skies, chilly mornings and evenings, a warmish midday. Since when I awoke on Monday, up until now, it has been icy cold, thickly and darkly overcast; also since last night rain. Lots of (welcome) rain. I'm definitely not complaining, this is my favourite weather.

All-in-all it has been an extraordinary week - between the weekend and now, other than the weather, my world has dramatically changed and done an about turn. I'm grateful to have stuck to my guns about my trip to Cape Town (I'm waiting to board my flight right now): I see this as an opportunity (in one of my most favourite cities) to get some perspective, to look in the mirror, even into the abyss if need be, also to do some soul searching and to consider what direction to be led in for the next chapter. It is almost exactly two years since I moved into my house in Waterval Boven after a particularly challenging and growing two years prior to that. I admit to being childishly and excitedly expectant about the next two years...God knows! Especially as 2009 is about things coming to fruition, cycles finishing. Whatever the future holds, I'm believe I'm completely free and unhindered to head in whatever direction might be expected of me.

In the meantime I'm looking rather forward to spending time at Cape Town's Boof Fair, starting on Saturday. I'm also looking forward to rain gushing in the gutters, also to one of my most favourite sounds - the shrieking of seagulls. And some great views while I sip my coffee fixes at some of my favourite caffeine joints in the city.

No comments: