Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Sweetest Thing

Simonstown: It's a warmish Sunday afternoon in the middle of a Cape winter and I'm waiting for a friend at an old style patisserie (you don't get them anymore!) just before Jubliee Square; enjoying the sun beams streaming through the antique wooden frame shop windows, also the aroma of good coffee.

The best thing that ever happened to this country was what I call the 'Italian influence' - those immigrants to this country, many of them with prisoner of war origins, refused to drink what was acceptable as coffee here, hence the invasion of the six cylinder cappuccino machines. Life has never been the same again.

This is a time of coffee and contemplation for me. I'm excited at the possibilities open to me, even if it's not even yet clear exactly what they are. I just know that there are open doorways around me just begging to be entered. The only conditions I'm able to percieve right now are that I'm not to look back (my past is redeemed), also that I should spend some time discerning which of the many open doorways are the most right to enter; second best right now is just not good enough.

I'm sitting under a chandelier.

No comments: