Monday, February 28, 2011

The unlived life

Back home from the city, with the March newspaper printed (so old fashioned), I'm sitting at the back of the house having a strong cup of coffee, watching the sun set.
I'm facing incredible resistance at the start of my new (personal) chapter; when I'm about to to take a quantum leap out of the crab bucket I meet, as always, my own worst enemy: me.
Steven Pressfield, in his The War of Art, one of my favourites books of all time (and a more or less constant companion since 2004) simply introduces the resistance concept in a short chapter titled The Unlived Life:
"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."
The phone rings. It's 'French' Alex who lives in the main road: "Wine isss served," she says. "I'm on my way," I say.
Now to pump my bike's tyres, as the sun sets behind the mountain.

No comments: