Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mpumalanga Unrest: Service delivery protests

There is a sense that the immediate area is going up in smoke as pockets of protesters suddenly emerge where they wre least expected. These photos were taken just after 7am this morning at the Waterval Boven tunnel after protesters from Emgwenya township were dispersed with rubber bullets. TRAC was quickly on the scene to clean debris and rocks, to reopen the N4 highway. A lone man and his mangy dog did much more than his fair share to see the road cleaned up. I'm now on my way to Machadodorp and Emthonjeni to find out about the sporadic gunshots and worker intimidation I've had people sms me about. There is a sense of being caught up in a runaway fire that's being fuelled by a strong but invisible wind.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: