Friday, November 01, 2019

No-man's land

I leave Durban for home on Friday. But only after being warned by weather reports and the pilot of the storm we'll be flying into.

Entering the plane is for me the welcome entry into the no man's land between worlds... "the area between opposing armies and trench lines".

Consciously entering the time capsule of the plane, where my body and mind is locked in and buckled up, followed by my instant body-wide relief as the wifi and my ability to make calls is cut, just like that.

That is the moment when I'm at my most relaxed and deeply immersed in my happy place of mostly solitude and silence.

Except for the noise in my head.

It's a time for processing and introspection as I'm left with nothing but my emotions and thoughts and, in turn, my reactions to those.

I've been away for a month and it's time to join the dots, which some may call staring into the abyss; I no longer fear the abyss and welcome gripping its edge at every opportunity.

Two worlds, often more.

Rather the noise in my head, than the world's... at least mine goes silent with time and reflection.

Heading home and into the perfect storm.

No comments: