Saturday, August 21, 2010

Camino des Santiago

In this week I made up my mind to walk the Camino des Santiago. It is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. Right now I cannot possibly imagine being able to take the time out (at least a month) to walk the 780km, but now that it's on the 'agenda' so to speak, I'm waiting for God to give me a gap (and I'm probably in for a great lesson in patience in the process... the 'killing two birds with one stone' theory I suppose, with an chuckle).

Below is an opening of a paragraph of a story - Buen Camino‏ to the Camino Frances - written by someone who completed the pilgrimage last year. It titillated me to say the least:

The hotel attendant walked me down a very long, wide, immense stone hallway and showed me to my room. It was just what I needed! A small, cell-like room with a small bed, nightstand with no lamp, simple desk with a simple chair, high ceilings and a huge window on one of the stone walls. The bathroom had an old fashioned toilet with the water tank hanging from the ceiling with a chain to pull for flushing. The door was old and worn and shower curtain was flimsy, but I was grateful to have my own room and I was glad to have a refuge away from the teeming crowds on the streets outside...

The site I've enjoyed for my introduction on the pilgrimage includes a great blog.

Pic credits (with thanks!):



No comments: