Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Inspiration

In these xenophobically crazy times my inspiration remains German writer Heinrich Böll (1917-85). He embodied that rare combination of political awareness, artistic creativity, and moral integrity which remains a model for future generations... especially, not so long ago, at Europe's darkest hour, when what light there was couldn't even reach the end of the tunnel. The courage to stand up for one's beliefs; encouragement to meddle in public affairs; and unconditional activism in support of dignity and human rights were characteristics of Heinrich Böll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There you are, you see - you've taught me something. I'd never heard of Heinrich Böll, but I searched for him on Wikipedia and I so understand why he's your hero. Gimme more!